So often, walking down our winding roads in Saligao, a car or bike breezes past, with a powerful blast of the latest masculine or feminine perfume that lingers on in the whole area for quite a while.
The chances are, the stronger the perfume, the more damage to the ozone layer from the aerosol spray-can that contained the smelly substance. It is not only aerosol cannisters. It could be our refrigerators, foam cushions and mattresses, fire extinguishers, or adhesives we use daily.
The Main Ozone-Depleting Substances (ODS)
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- The most widely used ODS, accounting for over 80% of total stratospheric ozone depletion.
- Used as coolants in refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners in buildings and cars manufactured before 1995.
- Found in industrial solvents, dry-cleaning agents and hospital sterilants.
- Also used in foam products — such as soft-foam padding (e.g. cushions and mattresses) and rigid foam (e.g. home insulation).
- Used in some fire extinguishers, in cases where materials and equipment would be destroyed by water or other fire extinguisher chemicals. In B.C., halons cause greater damage to the ozone layer than do CFCs from automobile air conditioners.
- Methyl Chloroform
- Used mainly in industry — for vapour degreasing, some aerosols, cold cleaning, adhesives and chemical processing.
- Carbon Tetrachloride
- Used in solvents and some fire extinguishers.
- Hydrofluorocarbons (HCFCs)
- HCFCs have become major, “transitional” substitutes for CFCs. They are much less harmful to stratospheric ozone than CFCs are. But HCFCs they still cause some ozone destruction and are potent greenhouse gases.
From: Goa Desc <email@example.com>
Date: 16 September 2013 12:49
Subject: [MissionGreenGoa] 16th September is International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
To: MissionGreenGoa <missiongreengoa@yahoogroups.
family members, relatives, neighbours and friends.
Help CONSUMERS to be better informed about
Source: GOA DESC Social Issues Calendar 2013
GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
there *is* anOTHERgoa
muriel & mario,
6/22, sonarbhatt, saligao.
bardez. goa. 403511.
tel: 0832-2278276 / 2409999
<anothergoa AT gmail.com>